The most popular Plastic Surgery procedure of the past year was, by far- Breast Augmentation. According to the figures compiled by the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons), more than 286,000 breast augmentation surgeries were performed last year.
“ALL ABOUT THE BASS”
Well, maybe not all about it, but a lot more than ever before. The new stats show that Buttock Augmentation, through various means, is way up on the list of ‘fastest growing procedures.’
Here’s what those numbers look like:
- Brazilian Butt Lift (Buttock Augmentation with Fat Grafting)- increased 15 percent in 2014, from the previous year.
- Buttock Implants – The use of special implants to change the size and shape of the buttocks, rose 98%.
- Buttock Lift – In the same period of time, this surgery was performed 44% more frequently.
The story is in the numbers:
– Breast Augmentations, although dipping 1%, were performed more than 286,000 times last year nationwide.
– Buttock Augmentation with Fat Graft (BBL), up 15%, with just over 11,500 cases reported.
– Buttock Implants – attention-getting with that 98% increase. But, the number of these procedures nationwide, is just above 1,860.
In all, there were 1.7 million cosmetic surgical procedures performed last year, on both women and men. That total is up, 1% overall.
Here are the top 5:
1. BREAST AUGMENTATION – 286,254
2. NOSE RESHAPING (RHINOPLASTY) – 217,124, down 2%
3. LIPOSUCTION- 210,552, up 5%
4. EYELID (BLEPHAROPLASTY) – 206,509, down 4%
5. FACELIFT – 128,266, down 4%
THE TOP NON-SURGICAL (Minimally-Invasive) PROCEDURES
Injections-lasers-peels-etc. These are staples in the cosmetic surgery world, and are still increasing in popularity. Combined, they were up 4% last year, with close to 14 million procedures:
2. INJECTABLE FILLERS
3. CHEMICAL PEEL
4. LASER HAIR REMOVAL
A Word about Breast Reconstruction:
The various surgical procedures used in Breast Reconstruction, were up 7% last year- 102,200 procedures in all.
What this tells us, is that the word is getting out to patients. There have been increased efforts in recent years, to make women more aware of the surgical options they have, following breast cancer surgery. The objective is to allow all patients to know what is possible with reconstruction, so they may make an informed choice. The efforts are obviously working, and this is good news.
As we know, men now routinely elect to have cosmetic enhancement, both surgical and non-surgical. Many of those thousands of Injectable treatments, Nasal surgery, Liposuction, Facelifts, Fat Transfer, Eyelid and Neck Lifts—are performed on men.
The top two Male (gender-specific) surgeries involve the chest:
1. MALE BREAST REDUCTION
2. PECTORAL IMPLANTS
All of the figures are taken from surveys of practicing Plastic Surgeons, members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
[Dr. Vincent Lepore is a Board Certified, Stanford-trained Plastic Surgeon in San Jose, in the center of Silicon Valley. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and The California Society of Plastic Surgeons. Consultations for Cosmetic surgical procedures are free of charge, and can be arranged by calling our office at (408) 356-4241]